Monday, August 10, 2015

A Girl & Her Cat


Cat Lady (noun): a woman who dotes upon her pet cat or cats. The term is usually considered pejorative, though it is sometimes embraced.

In the last 8 months I have transformed into a cat lady, and guess what society, I AM PROUD OF IT! My sweet kitty Luna became mine in January of this year, and she has made me the happiest cat mom in the world. Luna is my best friend, snuggle buddy, and personal trouble maker. She's who I spend most of my time with, which may sound sad, but it's actually the best. She's there to lick my nose while I fall asleep, cuddle up to me while I'm up until 4 am studying, knead the tangles out of my hair with her paws, wake me up promptly at 8am every morning to feed her, and fart on me just when I think we've worked out all of the kinks in our relationship. There are a few things you don't realize about what it's like to have a cat until they actually have one, so without further ado, here are 10 things you should know before getting a cat:

1. Your cat will win over your heart
You may want to resist all the love you have for your cat at first, but it's best to give in, and hand your heart over to your furry friend. This is the first (& most crucial) step of becoming a true cat parent.

2. It is okay to smother your cat with love
I probably do this too often, but its so hard not to with Luna's tiny white paws, and cute little face! Hugging, kissing, petting, talking to your cat will probably not be the most fun for your cat, but you will feel great after. Believe me. It's so hard to not pick up Luna and give her a big hug every time she walks by.

3. You will tell everyone stories about your cat 
Cats do so many funny things, and you will want to tell the world about all of the cute/funny things your cat does. (Some people may not care about your cat stories, but you'll get to relive the moment, and that makes the storytelling worth it)

4. All your belongings automatically become your cat's belongings as well
That blanket you love, say bye now because your cat will soon claim it. Your laptop will soon become the perfect warm surface for napping, and the keyboard will become a nice clicky toy for your cat to walk across. Pretty much anything your cat can lay on/in, hit around, walk across, or hide under will soon belong to your cat.

5. You will take hundreds (or even thousands) of pictures of & with your cat
Once you have a cat you will want to capture every single cute thing they do. Your phone will be full of pictures of your cat making it slightly awkward if/when people see your camera roll. Luna is just too cute to not take pictures of all the time, okay?!??!?

6. Cat's love knocking things over
Cat's can be jerks. They will knock over anything their little hearts desire; picture frames, lamps, candles, trashcans, etc. Be prepared to pick up after your kitty a lot. (They will soon learn what the word "no" means, but will continue to do this)

7. FACT: Not all cats hate water
If your cat is like Luna, they will LOVE water, which means they will also love sinks, toilets, and showers. Luna likes to sit on the corner of my shower and watch me until I'm done, then she jumps into the sink to drink water from the faucet. This has become our nightly routine.

8. Cats love Netflix
Luna loves watching Netflix with me! Her favorite shows are Gilmore Girls, Grey's Anatomy, and The Office. She literally lays right by my laptop and watches with me. It's one of my favorite things about her.

9. You will want to buy cat themed everything
Phone cases, socks, shirts, mugs, coasters, necklaces, etc. You will want it all, and you will show your cat all your new purchases inspired by them. (Note: people may begin to say that you have too many pairs of cat socks, this is a lie. There is no such thing as too many cat socks)

10. You and your kitty will love each other more than you ever expected to

I hope I have convinced you all to go to your local shelter and adopt a cat (or more) for yourself! I promise you won't regret it! Cat's are without a doubt the best pets. (sorry not sorry, dog lovers)

Peace out, cat people

xo. Brooke




No comments: