Thursday, December 31, 2015

2016: Year of the #GIRLBOSS

Sophia Amoruso is one of my many many many female role models. She started her company Nasty Gal selling vintage clothing on Ebay in 2006, and has now sold over $100 million in apparel and accessories. Sophia's New York Times Bestselling book, #GIRLBOSS was my inspiration for this post, and has sparked my motivation for the coming year. If you haven't read #GIRLBOSS yet, please do yourself a favor and read the freaking book, especially if you plan to pursue a career in the fashion industry. After about a year of waiting, I FINALLY got the book for Christmas, and ever since I've started reading it I feel like someone (probably Sophia) set a fire inside of me. I just want to go out there and kick butt at everything I do because I AM A FREAKING #GIRLBOSS!!

In the coming year, I will continue to apply/interview for a summer internship, turn 21, go on a study tour to New York, do my summer internship, apply/interview for real life jobs, and graduate college. 2016 will be the most eventful year of my life so far, and I cannot even begin to put into words how pumped I am to work hard and be a total #GIRLBOSS. Now was the perfect time for me to read this book. I desperately needed to feel the sense of confidence and empowerment I got from reading #GIRLBOSS before I have to go out and start "selling myself" (for lack of better words) to possible future employers. 

Instead of having a list of cliche new year's resolutions, I decided to stick to a mantra to live by in 2016. Of course, the mantra is one of my favorite quotes from #GIRLBOSS. "A #GIRLBOSS is in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it". This quote is within the first 15 pages of the book, and Sophia continues to repeat her message throughout the book- #GIRLBOSSes work hard to get what they want. That is exactly what I plan to do this year! 

Happy New Year, and I hope you all embrace your inner #GIRLBOSS in 2016! 

Before I sign off, I would like to ask that you guys keep my home town in your thoughts. Rowlett was among the two cities hit the hardest by Saturday's tornadoes in Texas. The EF4 left many people and pets without homes. There is never a "good time" for something like this to happen, but the day after Christmas just seems far too unfair. Please be sending good thoughts to Rowlett during the cleanup and rebuilding that will take place in the coming months.

xo. Brooke

No comments: