Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Why I am Embarrassed to be a Christian


In the last year there has been a lot of negative light on Christians due to their unacceptance and hatred of others. This makes me so very sad. Seeing and hearing all the horrible hate-filled things these Christian people have to say about those of different ethnicities, sexualities, and genders in the name of my God makes my heart hurt. My God is a loving God. My God doesn't see color, gender, or sexuality. My God loves us all simply because we are His children. It makes me so sad to know that there are so many people who use their faith to justify hate.

Honestly, in the past few months it has gotten to the point where I am actually embarrassed to tell people that I am a Christian. There are so many people who view Christians as a hateful and bigoted group of people, and I don't want to be included in that. Recently I have began labeling myself as a "Progressive Christian", which makes me feel much better talking about my faith in everyday conversation. It allows me to say that I am both socially progressive AND a Christian at the same time, because contrary to what some may say, it IS possible to be both. I am part of a generation that is (for the most part) accepting, loving, and open-minded, and I know for a fact that there are many other Christians my age who are struggling with the same feelings I have been struggling with in the past year. So, I am calling all PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIANS to start talking to people about your beliefs AND your faith!!! We need to make our voices heard, so that people will see that there ARE accepting Christians, and that not all Christians use their faith to justify their hatred of specific groups of people.

Remember, we are called to love each other.

xo. Brooke

No comments: