Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Hot Topic: Christmas Music Before Thanksgiving

Source
This time each year people across America fall into a heated debate for nearly four weeks as to whether or not it is acceptable to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. There are three classifications of people this time of year: those who refuse to acknowledge the holiday season until a few days before Christmas when they do their gift buying (I like to call these people the "bah humbugs"), those who oppose any and all things Christmas until midnight on Thanksgiving, and those like myself who start listening to Christmas music on, or most likely before, November 1. My sister and I grew up listening to Christmas on the reg starting in early November, much to the dissatisfaction of our parents who are of the second previously listed variety of Christmas celebrators. Here are my 5 reasons why it is COMPLETELY okay to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving:

Stores start playing Christmas music on November 1
If November 1 is good enough for corporate America, it's good enough for me too. That is all.

Christmas music makes you feel warm and fuzzy
This is obviously the number one reason to listen to Christmas music at any and every time of the year. Christmas music has some kind of magical power that overcomes Christmas lovers with joy. I don't know how it does it, but it works. (It's also great study music)

Pentatonix
I don't think this needs an explanation, but I'll give one anyways. It would be nearly impossible to learn all five parts of every single PTX Christmas song if I only started listening to them after Thanksgiving. I'm sure it could be done, but I have finals and other things to do in December. 

Planners start Christmas shopping early
If you're like me, you start making your Christmas shopping list in July. This means that I am in the "Christmas spirit" a little longer than many people, so of course I'm going to want to listen to Christmas music! I currently have a secret Pinterest board where I have been pinning all of my gifts I've planned to buy for my family and friends. Now I'm just waiting for Cyber Monday to order it all! (Cyber Monday is the new Black Friday, people.)

Pro-Christmas is not Anti-Thanksgiving
Every year the "bah humbugs" get mad at those of us already basking in the Christmas glory by saying, "it's not even Thanksgiving yet". We know, and guess what, WE LOVE THANKSGIVING TOO. Thanksgiving means that our Christmas celebration is FINALLY widely accepted, and we are finally able to unleash our inner Christmas elves.

As the song says "its the most wonderful time of the year", so how lame is it to cut that wonderful time down to a mere 4 weeks?!?!! Also, the Christmas season basically extends through the entire month of November anyways (thanks to the retail industry), so we might as well go along with it and embrace all the greatness that the holiday season has to offer! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going go continue listing to the Pentatonix album "That's Christmas to Me" while I drink my Starbs peppermint mocha.

Happy Holidays!

xo. Brooke

No comments: