Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Stress Relief Tips:: We All Need Them

photo source
We all have stressors; classes, jobs, people, etc. Stress can become toxic if not handled correctly. I know that I'm at the point in the semester where I'm just mentally exhausted, distracted, and unable to focus on my class work which causes, you guessed it, STRESS. I have done a lot of research since I started college two years ago on how to handle stress, and have found some things that actually work for me! The following tips help me manage my stress and keep it to a minimum!

Stay organized
Make lists, keep a planner, write everything down, utilize the beloved post-it note for reminders, etc. I use all of the things previously listed to stay organized because if I don't do them, I will forget important things and my life would probably just fall apart. 

Adopt a furry friend
I obviously prefer cats because cats are without a doubt the most {purr}fect pets. Not to mention that a cat's purr has been proven in a study at the University of Missouri to relieve stress and increase health in both cats and humans (see article).

Drink coffee
Coffee will not only wake you up, it has been indicated through a study at Seoul National University in South Korea that the smell of coffee may help to relieve stress (see article). Perhaps that's why I get so much work done at coffee shops?? 

Take breaks
The human brain is not meant to focus on one thing for an extended period of time. I've found that when studying, the Pomodoro Technique helps me to both learn material, and stay relaxed while doing so.

Yoga
There is one pose in particular that is absolutely magic. If you are ever overcome with stress I highly encourage you to drop everything, turn on some relaxing sounds, and do this yoga pose. I seriously think it's magic.

Those are all the stress relief tips I've found that work for me! If you have any stress relief tips, I'd love to hear them because college doesn't come without a fair dose of stress!!

xo. Brooke

No comments: